Friday, August 24, 2012

"The Day I Saw Tom Cruise Kissing Another Man"

I will occasionally draw upon some long-past experience of mine as the subject for my painting. This experience dates to 1991 when I was in an office building in Century City, and descended a flight of stairs down to the parking level where my car was at.

As I exited the stairwell, the door made no noise as I opened it and stepped through it. A few feet away I saw two men in an embrace, neither of whom seemed to notice me and I thought "Ooooh, isn't that sweet, two boys in love". As I started to turn and walk away, I thought "was that......was that Tom Cruise???".

I turned and looked again, and sure enough it was. They had stopped kissing but remained in a tight embrace looking deeply into each others eyes and whispering things I couldn't overhear, no matter how hard I tried. I recalled some of the rumors I'd heard back then about Tom, and wondered why he seemed so casual about this semi-public display of affection, then wondered if it could possibly be a close friend or relative he was saying goodbye to, or maybe even hello after a long absence.

I never did see tongue in that kiss, I guess it could have been a platonic kiss, even though it was going on when I first saw them. Since I didn't have a camcorder, I got in my car and drove to the parking lot cashier.

Tom Cruise pulled up behind me in line, alone, but it was clearly him in a black Porsche. I have no idea who his "friend" was, but this is for them............

"The Day I Saw Tom Cruise Kissing Another Man"
15" x 30" x 3"
Acrylic on Canvas

Don't Sue Me Tommy, I Know It Was You, TONY

No comments: