I could easily write a ten page tirade about the lame, ignorant arguments against gay marriage. But for me, it comes down to “You either believe in equal rights, or you don’t”. I’ve lost all patience with those that don’t. I couldn’t care less how Miss California defines god. You either believe in equal rights or you don’t.
And civil unions? Didn’t this country learn anything from that shameful chapter of American history called “Separate But Equal”?
In this painting, I added the five state birds of the five United States that now extend equal rights to ALL of its citizens. I was sad not being able to add the state bird of my home state, the California Valley Quail.
1) Massachusetts, the first state to legalize gay marriage after its Supreme Court ruled such a ban was unconstitutional, in 2003. (The Black-Capped Chickadee)
2) Connecticut, October 2008, the state’s Supreme Court struck down a civil union law that limited marriage to heterosexuals. (The American Robin)
3) Iowa, April 3, 2009, the state’s Supreme Court ruled bans on marriage for gays violated equal protection laws. (The American Goldfinch)
4) Vermont, April 7, 2009, the legislature overrode the governor’s veto of a legalization bill. (The Hermit Thrush)
5) Maine, May 6, 2009, the governor signed into law a gay marriage bill (also The Black-Capped Chickadee)
This painting is:
24” x 36”
Acrylic on Canvas
All Men Are Created Equal,