Monday, December 10, 2012

"Baptism in the Swamp"

I sketched this painting out on canvas, before I started painting it, in the midst of a torrential downpour. I've never lived in a place that rained so much, even in Hawaii. Even when it's not raining, water seems to just bubble up from the ground everywhere. Properties advertised as "Water Front" usually mean "Swamp Front".

The ground sort of oozes up water as you slosh through it. Being from Southern California it seems odd to me that I never see anyone watering their lawn or plants, and I have seen a single sprinkler since I've been here.

Swamps, pools, rivers and lakes seem to surround Savannah (all of them with alligators living in them), but people value them knowing they're the main line of defense against hurricanes and flooding. So the word "swamp" has become part of my everyday vocabulary, life, and experience.

"Baptism In The Swamp"24"x 30"
Acrylic on Canvas

Swampily, TONY

No comments: