Tuesday, January 1, 2013

"Bird Man in the Desert"



As whimsical as most of my Day of the Dead paintings are, I can see they are still autobiographical and telling. This one is influenced by my fascination with the birdlife here in New Mexico, creatures I never really appreciated or even noticed much while in L.A.

I keep adding more seed feeders to the trees in my backyard, insisting each new one is the last one, because huge flocks now congregate here and last month I watched as a hawk swooped down to my feeders and caught a mourning dove, spending two hours devouring it in my tree.
I started to wonder if I was feeding the birds or feeding the hawks. The hummingbirds are my favorites though, by far. Fascinating beings. Tame to me, mean as hell to each other. And they love taunting Junior, knowing he doesn't stand a chance trying to catch them. 

This is titled:


"Bird Man In The Desert"
24" x 30"
Acrylic on Canvas

Humming along,TONY



No comments: