Thursday, April 30, 2020

Saturday Night Soup for the Soul (21)







ast week, I went on another 1000 miles in 36 hours road trip. Again, I wanted to get back to the wide open ravaged spaces that lie due east of the Cascade mountain range in Oregon and Washington.



Come Away On A Strange Vacation
Holiday Hardly Begun
Run Into A Good Friend Of Mine
Sold Me Her Sign
Reach For The Stars
Venus And Mars
Are Alright Tonight

I made a bee line south for the Columbia River, and turned east on I-84 following the upstream path of where the great ice age floods smashed their way right on thru a major mountain range. First stop: Multnomah Falls, Oregon.






As you drive up this "canyon" of the Columbia River, with walls up to 4,000 feet high, you start on the wet western side of the mountains. Hence, there are miles of spectacular emerald green vistas, capped with spectacular falls leaping of the edge of the mountain range into the canyon below. This is the granddaddy of them all, situated in the Oregon side and quite close to metropolitan Portland (where flyboy Lewis can be seen running around bare-assed naked sunning his schlong).


I continued east up into the heart of the Columbia River Gorge, pausing periodically along the way to snap pix, before jumping back to warp speed (85-90 MPH).




My sword, it lies broken
and cast in a lake
In a dream I was told that
my prince he would wake.

Towards the eastern end of the gorge, I turned south and climbed up onto the Central Oregon lava plateau. I stopped and took a look back into the gorge, cranked out this pic, before I pressed on.

Damn, I was so preoccupied with shooting pix that I did not even notice this hot sex boy toy hitch hiking by the side of the road...

This Road Trip Diary be continued next week...

1. Venus and Mars (Reprise)


This is an obscure song from the 1975 Wings LP of the same name. It was the follow-up LP to Band on the Run (or as I like to call it, "Gland on the Run"). I like the lyrics alluding "a strange vacation". I also like the melody a lot. Someday i'll play it's twin rendition.

While I am on the topic of Venus, Here is Tony's "Death of Venus" which is why The Birth of Venus started this post.




2. It Ain't Fair is one of many unbelievable performances by the Queen of Soul, Miss Aretha Franklin. The track is from her 1970 LP "This Girl's in Love With You". This LP has several songs that are among her very best. It Ain't Fair contains some burning bee sting guitar rifs by Duane Allman.

3. Legend of the Girl Child Linda is by Donovan and comes from his stunning 1966 LP Sunshine Superman. It is filled with imagrey of middle earth. If you want to buy even one Donovan LP, make it this one.





All of this makes it's way into this week's soup. You can get your bowl of Saturday Night Soul for the Soul by clicking the jukebox.

6 comments:

Wayne said...

Yep, that's the same drive we took last october on our way to Mt Hood. We were in Portland celebrating our 30th!

A Lewis said...

I can't believe you were RIGHT THERE....right where I hang in the summertime. What a beautiful place.

d.K. said...

Nice photos - I don't think I've seen that waterfall depicted before.

I love the "Birds of a Feather" painting below... It says a lot to me.

T-Bird said...

Lewis: Along the highway hitching nude (a/k/a cruising for a bruising)?

Anonymous said...

I'm forever drawn to green and water. The two of them together is the most powerful life force on the planet. Honestly it's hard to find green not in the presence of water, only on rare occasions. They feed eachother as the most perfect relationship ever expressed in tangible form. Life and love entwined so perfectly, so givingly.
Hugs,
kb

T-Bird said...

Beautifully put. Skye of blue and sea of green (in our yellow submarine).