Thursday, April 30, 2020

Saturday Night Soup for the Soul (30)



he summer is here, and this weekly column (but not the entire blog) is on a sort of summer break.


Where is my love life?
Tell me,
Where has it gone?
Somebody please please tell me what the hell is wrong

Until I find the righteous one: Computer blue
Until I find the righteous one: Computer blue

Was in hard core classes all week. I replaced the burned out pond pump, so that the goldfish and koi can have proper water circulation and oxygenation. Additionally, now the birds can come and take baths in the fountain catch basin as they love to do all summer long. I now have two roof replacement bids (anyone remember the hellish winter storms we had last year in Seattle?) . I will get one more bid. Too busy, but such is life.


I knew a guy named Nicky

I guess you could say he was a sex fiend

I met him in a hotel lobby

Masturbating with a magazine

He said "how'd you like to waste some time"

And I could not resist

When I saw little Nicky grind

(Darling Nicky)

Am going for a long walk today, then coming home to cut back some garden over growth, pick the first raspberries and blue berries, and then come in and putz about sorting through some more kitchen stuff that is still boxed up in the living room.

We rendezvous on Champs-Elysees
Leave Paris in the morning on T.E.E.
Trans-Europe Express
Trans-Europe Express
Trans-Europe Express
Trans-Europe Express

From station to station
Back to Dusseldorf City
Meet Iggy Pop and David Bowie
Trans-Europe Express
Trans-Europe Express
Trans-Europe Express
Trans-Europe Express

Next week I will start building a monster PC (4 gig, quad processor). In the meantime, Soup is on.

1. Computer Blue and 2. Darling Nicki are both part of a single track on Prince's fantabulous Purple Rain film soundtrack. Computer Blue is a hard rock ‘em sock ’em track, which starts with some suggestive dyke dominatrix chit-chat between band members Wendy and Lisa. Damn this is fun music, and what I think of when I think of the best of “80’s music”. A mix of synth and real instruments.
Darling Nicki is one of the all time sexiest songs ever recorded. Check out the "vid" for it.


3. Trans Europe Express and 4. Metal on Metal are both from German pioneers Kraftwerk (German for “Power Station”). More than anyone, they originated the entire “techno, ambient, trance” musical genres influencing an army of admiring artists who followed in their footsteps. The first in line were David Bowie and Eno (David is actually mentioned in the lyrics of Trans Europa Express).

An old Vid for Trans Europa Express (above) and Metal on Metal performed Live (below) as shot by a fan in the audiance.

This song has sunk deep primal roots into my soul soil. Maybe it is my Germanic heritage, but the “Metal on Metal” section stirs up deep subconscious memories and impressions in me of ancient Teutonic battles slaughtering the inferior teeming masses who lie across Oder river, and of raping and pillaging deep into the vast landscapes that open up as you enter the plains that lie to the east (Drang nach Osten). Ah, those were teh days. I rememeber them well, so many life times ago, before I became civilized.

This song also triggers a specific memory of a night in San Francisco in the early 1980’s in a leather bar (either the Brig or the Arena) and this was playing. I still remember the moment, happy that they were finally playing something that appealed to me (I hated disco dumpster dive music, and still do). The darkness, the smell of beer (personally speaking, I do not drink beer – hate the taste of it -- I have never consumed so musch as a single one in my life) , the smell of poppers, piss and funk, the red lights, the leather queens and super hot bulging muscle boys (oh, now some of them were STUNNINGLY HOT). And there were the occasional mysterious and dark real deal dudes lurking in the shadows (plus a scary sexual psychopath here and there). The slave auctions, blow jobs at the drink well, rim jobs on the pool table, fucks in the corner, and much, much more happening all over the place. Chains, cycle chrome parts, and Texas plates mounted on the walls. All part of the imagry dredged up by Metal on Metal.

This was the zenith of pre-aids in your face gay promiscuity. You cannot imagine what was going on in places like the Cauldron on Natoma. If you can think it, it was happening. Somewhere I have some handbills from the latter that I’ll hunt up and scan and post someday. Extreme gay-fetishy art. I drifted through this scene, and yet, somehow remained unblemished by it. Dunno how or why. I suppose that it never was my destiny to be a part of it, or to be destroyed by it as so many were. God had other plans for me – not that I was appreciative of that fact at the time. Heck, I think that I was even resentful of that fact at the time. I say it again...such is life.


All of this makes it's way into this week's soup. You can get your bowl of Saturday Night Soul for the Soul by clicking the jukebox.



4 comments:

Pod said...

i love that prince album too. lots of teenage angsty memories of unrequited love! ;0p

RIC said...

Oh man! You're visually most inventive indeed! Just great! I guess I can do something similar with words, but I'm not sure, anyway...
«La station de métro» looks just perfect to me: I WISH I'd be there right now! Btw, where are those hunks going to? The Louvre or... home? Maybe I just could drive along... Lol!
Kraftwerk ist wunderbar!
Hugs! Have a great Sunday! :-)

Anonymous said...

4 gigs? What planet are you communicating? FOUR f-----g GIGS?

Robert said...

Now that's an eclectic bunch indeedy!!