Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Saturday Night Soup for the Soul (12)



s disjointed and incongruous was last week’s soup, this week’s pot is organically integrated and emotionally centered. I shall not overtly describe anything personal this week, instead letting the music speak for me. It says everything and so much more, for those so attuned to hearing such things.

I can still hear the sounds of those Methodist bells,
I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through,
Staying up for days in the Chelsea Hotel,
Writing "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" for you.


his past week brought a series of birthdays. Tony's was this past Tuesday, as was that of fellow blogger and major flyboy Lewis. Sunday brings us that of the late and great 20th century luminary George Harrison. His most recent incarnation will be 64 years old. Later this week brings the birthday of Prince Andrew (not the royal family love child -- this beautiful boy is but five years of age) and on the same day, is yours truly. We both came in like a lion (that is a hint).


God God God
You are the wisdom that we seek
God God God
The lover that we miss
God God God
Your nature is eternity
God God God
You are Existence, Knowledge, Bliss

I am hungry; I hope you are too. Soup’s ready, so let us break bread together, and eat.


1.
Marwa Blues
is such a heavenly composition. This has the sound of someone sailing off to their rendezvous with eternity. This evokes the same emotion in me as the opening of Mahler’s ninth symphony. Joy for those taking the journey and sorrow for what is left behind. This comes from George Harrison’s parting gift: Brainwashed. Listening to this can be a tear jerker should you have something bottled up to cry over.

2. Shostakovich Symphony No. 11 in G minor, op. 103 (1957). -- This opening movement of symphony 11 is one of the most sustainingly beautiful and hopeful things that dear Dmitri ever wrote. Galaxy class hope and humility, expansively stretching across the universe. Shostakovich is hands down the greatest artist of all the 20th century in any medium. He has it all: unparalleled genius, guts and nerve, a cunning and subversive nature which spoke truth to power, an uncorrupted sense humanity, and personal suffering. This piece had a programmic title “The Year 1905” and is superficially about the events surrounding an abortive Russian peasant uprising against the Czar in 1905. But Shostakovich is never what he superficially seems – especially when he tells you anything about the supposed program behind the piece (which he rarely did).

Here is the climax of the second (of four) movement

There is something so much darker and truly horrifying hiding in the guts of this score (after you finish your soup, watch the above performance to hear a taste of what is lurking inside the opening movement of the symphony). Incidentally the compositional style he adopted in this period of his life strikes me as “film without the movie”. There is a striking visual quality to his works from this unbelievably productive period of his artistic career. One see’s the sound.


"Desire" (Neon borrowed from wonderful Thomas Hawk)

3. Sara -- From Bob Dylan’s 1975 "Desire" LP, this track is the ultimate love song written to his later to become ex-wife. Dylan is famously guarded about his private life. Nevertheless I do not think that he ever wrote a more out int he open personal song. I understand his intensity and depth of love.

5. Brainwashed The title song and closer to Beatle George's body of work. Happy Birthday, baby boy! I still remember sharing your birthday in 1967.

Namah Parvarti Pataye Hare Hare Mahadev
Namah Parvarti Pataye Hare Hare
Namah Parvarti Pataye Hare Hare

Shiva Shiva Shankara Mahadeva
Hare Hare Hare Hare Mahadeva
Shiva Shiva Shankara Mahadeva
Shiva Shiva Shankara Mahadeva

Namah Parvarti Pataya Hare Hare
Namah Parvarti Pataye Hare Hare
Shiva Shiva Shankara Mahadeva
Shiva Shiva Shankara Mahadeva

All of this makes it's way into this week's soup. You can get your 22.4 Mb bowl of Saturday Night Soup for the Soul by clicking the jukebox.

4 comments:

Lola said...

Thank you for dropping by my little piece of cyberspace, Thunderbird. I didn't know about the name of the Beatles song in conjunction with my blog. Thanks for letting me know.

Unknown said...

I'd never heard that particular piece of Shostakovich's. I lean towards baroque music mostly, when I write my blog in the mornings, baroque music is what keeps my fingers from stumbling through my mind. You are so right that this selection is horribly rooted in something dark and almost poisonous. I feel like I am being chased with a monster on my heels through dingy and dirty places when I watched that video. Eerily beautiful.

Beatles were incredible musicians but my sensibilities leaned in a different direction. Let me explain through music. I'll find some of the notes of the past and present that make me happy and post the links for you.

Past...
The Smiths, Cure and the Cocteau Twins make up my moody gay past when I was in college. Just a taste of the Cts.
Cocteau Twins – Heaven or Las Vegas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfWQl4JAIiA

Not for everyone and not the best song of theirs in video I could find but I think you see where my mind was when I was coming out as a gay kid.

The gay pop stylings of Erasure bring back a lot of good times on the dance floor. Won't inflict them on you and your good ears.

My ladies of jazz really define me and my level of sophistication in music. Billie Holiday, Ella Fitz, Sarah Vaughn, Etta Jones,Nina Simone and newbies Madeleine Peyroux and Corrine Bailey Rae to name a few.

Corrine Bailey Rae – Just like a star
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8oS1SHjhPU

Billie Holiday – Good morning heartache
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ3PVm6YbmU

This women was always in the background as I molded my music sensibilities as a man/boy. I still hear her in my head when I work.

Foreign music now makes up a growing chunk of what I listen to. Brazilian, French and a ton of Portuguese smokiness has made its way into my daily life.

Bebel Gilberto – Samba de Bancao
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfLCHQHndRo
[the video is the only one I could find so you could hear the song, sorry...

Newish electronica jazzy funkiness is what grooves me now. More and more I'm finding it trickling into my ears. Mika, Moony, Jette-Ives, Weekend Players, Zero 7, Telepopmusik, Theivery Corporation and Air are only a itty bitty sample of what continues to grow out of control.

Zero 7 – In the waiting line
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj6yXxVc21Y

Lord...I pulled a Thunderbird LOL
Hugs,
kb

d nova said...

gad!

what IS this place?

nice work!

T-Bird said...

WIll get to all these comments this weekend. Been under the weather this week. Will get a proper answer to all these wonderful comments this weekend.