Sunday, May 10, 2020

Saturday Night Soup for the Soul (18)

he year of mourning is drawing to a close for me. Last night was the one year anniversary of the final medical mistakes that were heaped upon my poor mother. I spent that Friday night in ER until four AM and drove home, crying so hard, that it is a wonder that I made it safely. I spoke out load that terrible night to my two cats saying over and over “they killed Grandma”. Such a sad tragedy, and at such a lovely time of the year. My mother’s last spring on earth, her last glimpse of blue sky, her last site of small birds, the last blossoms she gazed upon, falling delicately from tree branches like snow. Her final two weeks on earth began one year ago from tonight.




Click on the pictures above taken at Vantage Washington, to see them in bag-ass format. They show Vantage, Washington, where the mighty Columbia became an apocalyptic flood to end all floods. Repeating this flood the past several ice ages, the flood drained in a mere two weeks time a volume of water equivalent to Lake Michigan.


This past week I drove to her place of birth, and spread some of her ashes – on her parent’s grave, and on the grave of her first husband – not my father, but the father of my late sister. Arguably, I might even be named after him. My brother, three years my senior, shares my father's name. Her father's father was also named Wilhelm, so the name may have entered her mind from that direction.



Here are more pictures I took on the night I arrived in Spokane, and the next morning. Next week I will have more from my extended road trip and of my stop and go vacation.






























Remember when you were young
How the hero was never hung
Always got away
Remember how the man
Used to leave you empty handed
Always, always let you down
If you ever change your mind
About leaving it all behind
Remember, remember, today

Don't you worry'bout what you've done
Don't feel sorry'bout the way it's gone

Remember when you were small
How people seemed so tall
Always had their way
Remember your ma and pa
Just wishing for movie stardom
Always, always playing a part

If you ever feel so sad
And the whole world is driving you mad
Remember, remember today

And don't feel sorry 'bout the way it's gone
And don't you worry 'bout what you've done

No, no, remember, remember
The fifth of November






1. Remember is a tough-love song from John Lennon's first post Beatles Plastic Ono Band LP. I loved this the first time I heard it many years ago. It is a "don't look back" piece of music driven by the tight coupling of John's piano and Ringo's drum beat. BTW: the fifth of November that the closing lyrics refers to is the celebration (ond for others, the failure) of the attempt by a group of Catholic conspirators, led by one Robert Catesby, and including Guy Fawkes, to blow up the Houses of Parliament in Westminster on the evening of 5 November 1605. The conspirators were executed.


The line "Penny for the Guy" also appears in T.S. Elliot's masterpiece "The Hollow Men". John loved T. S. Elliot, whose work heavily influenced John's 1967 masterpiece “A Day In the Life” (see “The Waste Land”).


APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers
.

2. The River Suite is a stunning work by Duke Ellington, written at the end of his life in 1971, when he in the sixth decade of his career. The work is composed of a series of pieces, each that represents a different stage of river on its journey to the sea. Since so much of my trip was dominated by rivers, both gentle, and apocalyptic, it seems appropriate to include some of the pieces.

The pieces I have selected for Soup this week are:

The Spring
The Meander
The Lake
The Falls
The Whirlpool
The Neo-Hip-Hot Kiddies Communities

There will be a few more next week.



All of this makes it's way into this week's soup. You can get your 31.2 Mb bowl of Saturday Night by clicking the jukebox.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will- Thnx for sharing pix! Quite a trip.

Life will go forward, and I found the sadness disappears little by, little, year after year. It has been quite a few years, and now I'm able to reflect on my Father's life.

It has become enjoyable to reflect on the many stories from childhood forward. It didn't happen for qwhile but, it did. Time frame is different for all of us but, I speak from experience.

The mourning is eventually replaced into happier thoughts.

I hope you are able to recognize, and react to these feelings as they present themselves to you.

T-Bird said...

Hey, thanks. I am doing okay, actually. I gave myself a formal year to be sad and now it is time to move on. The garden I have gives me peace. So many of the plants she helped me to buy and I hear her saying "When I am gone, you will remember me when you are in your garden". It happened a few hours ago as I did a morning stroll through the yard.

Robert said...

Happy Easter Wilhelm. I was gonna comment before I left for Easter brunch, but didn't have enough time! :-)

A year has gone by and I'm glad you think it's time to move on. I think your mom would like that for you as well. It's wonderful that you can remember your mother in many ways. She might be gone physically but she's still everywhere.

xoxo

T-Bird said...

Thank you kind hearted one!

Anonymous said...

How do you continue on when someone of such importance leaves where you can never touch them again? It boggles the mind and blankets you with the darkest and coldest feeling that seeps into your bones. And yet...even in that dark place you decided to stand and continue, in her place blooms the flowers like velvet fireworks all around you. Vanilla linen fragrance in the air and each petal wet with dew, lit by the sun. You go on because life goes on. Others have said that she is still there with you; every memory, every sound and every moment you live means she lives on too.
Hugs to you traveling man,
kb

The pic of the antenna blew me away. I'm using it as my desktop. Fan-phuqing-tastic!!! The open road is calling you.

T-Bird said...

Good god almighty you sure seem to be able to reach in and press all my emotional keys on the big Wurlitzer of life! What a passionate guy you are! And handsome, too.

I am sending you another antenna pic. They are lit at night with dark cobalt blue lights, and I did not get a shot of that, which I will have to remedy with a return trip.