Sunday, May 10, 2020

Saturday Night Soup for the Soul (17)

"Black Mothers in my ears"
Guest Chef: Knottyboy

Ebony skinned mamas have been the soundtrack of my life since I was a teeny twink. Billie Holiday was the first taste of the drug.

She was my gateway into the seductive sounds that would control my life to this day.


Good morning heartache
You old gloomy sight
Good morning heartache
Thought we said goodbye last night
I turned and tossed until it seems you heve gone
But here you are with the dawn

Ella Fitzgerald was the woman I really cut my teeth into. She was standing in the great concert halls of Europe when still a teenager; world traveled, talented and a black woman. She blazed the trails of the sisters who dotted them before her.





Angel eyes, that old devil sent
They glow unbearably bright
Need I say that my love´s mispent
Mispent with angel eyes tonight

By now I was a junkie. I had these tracks my emotional train wouldn't jump off of. I knew I was a goner when Sarah Vaughan sang 'If you could see me now'. Here she performs this number in 1981.

As the years passed I added Roberta Flack, who killed me softly. Tried me some:
Evelyn 'Champagne' King.
Anita Baker...
Etta James...
Etta Jones...
Grace Jones...
Stephanie Mills...
RuPaul [technically he's got a penis, but don't most of these black mama's keep they man's pud in their purses? I think so too.]

Now comes a new generation of velvet soul for my mind. Starting with Jill ScottYou Love Me. I melt when I hear this woman, my eyes water in her shadow and my booty can't help but wiggle.


I'm left spent with Angie Stone – I wish I didn't miss you. Click THIS to see an incredible VID of her singing.

I can't help it, I'm powerless. I think everyone should give themselves over to the dark side. So sweet, so warm and nothing says lovin' like these ladies of soul. kb



All of this makes it's way into this week's Wayne's soup. You can get your 31.2 Mb bowl of Saturday Night Soup for the Soul by clicking the jukebox.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have to forgive my scatter brain yesterday, I've been finishing my taxes and I'm slightly manic. Only slightly ;) Thank you so much for asking me babe. I really do appreciate all the work you did to make this post sing.
I hope you have a great time and more than that...a place where you can center yourself and be at peace with all that has been happening.
Hugs,
kb

T-Bird said...

Well, it lasted 2 hours 37 minutes....

Holy shit!! My TAXES. I have not even started!!!!

A Lewis said...

ANGIE STONE! Holy guanno. I'd have been here sooner....except you tucked her WAY at the bottom of the post so I couldn't find her easily. Damn.