Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Saturday Night Soup for the Soup (14)



or those of you who read this week's entry and check out the music, you will certainly learn a lot more about me than I have ever revealed, and I am leaving many, many clues, and secret messages buried throughout this post. One piece of music dominated the past week for me, every waking moment. Must have listened to it one hundred and one times.

A comment from KB on last week's Soup got me going on down the line this past week, remembering my first romantic love, the guy I shared it with, and some tramatic emotional events that I never properly reconciled at the time they happened. Let's get down to Saturday's Soup for the Soul (I am unusually hungry this week), and while I am at it, finish the story I began last week, and free my own soul.

1. Sweet Passion is an obscure and extremely rare song (it only exists on vinyl) from the one and the only Queen of Soul, Miss Aretha Franklin. She is beyond genre, beyond categorization. She is Aretha, and that is that. Her voice has extreme range and power that blows all the wanna be diva's off the stage, and out into the parking lot. And yet, unlike today's crop of screechy wailing women who mistakenly think that every song must be raised to a numbing climax, Aretha knows restraint, and uses her power sparingly, hitting you when your guard is down, and knocking you down for the count with one perfectly executed sucker punch.



Aretha wrote Sweet Passion, and as is often the case, she is at the keyboards playing chunky piano chords that come from the “sanctified church” (how many of you know what the sanctified church is? Surprise suprise: I do). This song became a mantra for me years ago and then sunk out of site deep into my subconscious. The long ending of this is like a soul chant, where the word Passion is the mantra, and the fade creates the impression that this song goes on and on thru time, without end, through all eternity.

Years ago I bonded deeply with this song. It became a mantra of the moment for me, and then sunk out of sight, deep into my subconscious, just as the vinyl LP ended up in a box that I have moved with me for 27 years. . This week the lid got ripped off my memories, and off the the cardboard box, and it all came back to life again, along with my mourning the loss, and the death of my first love, Lonnie.

I wanna teach you loving A to Z
Bring me right on down to my knees
Do it good, baby, do it sweet
Your’re my soul mate and I sure am your bee
Sweet Passion, Passion, Passion



Lonnie and I met working part time at the post office while we both went to school. I had never been attracted to anyone outside my race; the thought had not occured to me that I could. It all began as an innocent complement he paid me: "You look good in that shirt, it makes your arms look good". So we became work friends, and finally had a day outing together in Seattle that end up romantically on his living room floor back home that night. The first day of summer, 1971. I was still a teenager. He was one or two years older than I. I took this picture that day.


Lonnie was a very gentle and humble guy. A house painter by trade. Not the least bit intellectual, but as genuine as you could ever want. It is because of him that I like black gospel music, and classic Aretha (1966-1980), and Al Sharpton, and black people in general. I get along extremely well with them and am very relaxed socializing with them. I hope it shows in my eyes, and voice and manner that i absolutely and honor them, and will stand with them should I be called to do so. Yes his effect on my life has been transforming to the core. But it evolved over a long period of time and continued even when he was not a part of my life.

Lonnie had a chaotic upbringing, from what I was able to glean from his few comments. I do not think he ever received any tender attention or affection from either parent (absent father, mother who drank). However he did have two very stable cousins, Bobbie Jean and Ella Mae, the first who was the rock of the family, and of the local African American community at large. It was from her I learned that their family surname was the same Scots-Irish surname as mine, and that we shared common family stories going back to pre civil war Virginia. I was delighted to think that he and I could be distantly related thru my father's side. He did not share me enthusiasm for that possibility. Hey, this was during the time of “Burn Baby Burn”, the Panthers, Angela Davis, and Huey Newton.

I doted on him, probably giving him the tender affection he had never experienced. I made dinner for him (he loved pork chops, gravy, salad, greens which I cannot stand). After dinner we'd go to bed, have sex, play around, watch TV (he loved Here's Lucy -- Lucille Ball being another Leo like him...and my mother...and my father), and then he would go home. He found it very hard to be affectionate in return. Therein lay a problem that proved to be insurmountably fatal. I now realize that he did not konw how to express love and affection. Neither did my own father. Hum...

Walls starting shaking, I heard love crying out
Happiness is giving away, Security is coming down
He fell. I Fell. And all there is left to tell
Is all the king's horses, all the king's men
Couldn't put out two hearts together again.

2. All The King's Horses comes from Aretha's 1972 Young, Gifted, and Black LP. It is available on CD. GET IT WHILE YOU STILL CAN. The entire LP/CD is great. Aretha wrote this one, too. And she plays the celeste on it. This particular song, about a relationship gone terribly wring, is one I played over and over and over in spring of 1972.

I remember that terrible cold Sunday night in January 1972. He had gone up to Vancouver, and was late coming over for dinner. I waited for his call until 10:00 PM with a now cold dinner sitting on the kitchen table. He finally called, and I heard it in his voice. I finally asked him point blank if he had met someone else, and he said that he had. Another Bill -- but this one a bleach bottle blow dried blond.

(Okay, I never actually met him, Bill might be the nicest guy who ever lived, but my mind is made up so do not try to confuse me with any facts to the contrary).

I hung up and cried so hard that I thought I would die. The candles on the kitchen table flared up and burned like bon fires as I heaved my guts out crying. I do not think that I cried this hard again until the night my mother was all but killed by her doctor on April 7th, last year.

I have never told anyone this.

(Okay Prince William...so why not tell the whole world? Maybe you can also broadcast this into outer space while you are at it).

Hell, I have never even told myself this. I had a complete and total nervous breakdown when we broke up. Shattered into a million pieces. How did I deal with it? I didn't. I did not seek or even consider getting help...

(One did not do such things back then, seeking help was for crazy people).

I just swept the emotional fragments the best I could under the carpet of the subconscious, and stumbled ahead into my adult life. I turned 20 weeks later (I am a Pisces fish, two of them, swiming opposite directions). The picture above was taken three weeks after we broke up.

3. Today I Sing the Blues is from Soul '69. Some of you younger readers don't know the difference between empty wanna be diva posers who top today's charts, and Aretha, the real meal deal, whose recordings will love on forever. Oh yeah,Aretha is the latter. This song is the blues, as only Aretha can perform them. Listen to her line "I didn't know why..." as it slowly soars -- off key and flated, her slowly, painfully, and excruciatingly stretching the time that it takes for her to actually reach the “correct” note (not sure of she ever does). She finished the sentence “...I had that sad and lonely feeling, until my baby said we’re though”. Imagine that gap toothed stupid idiot "Shell pest strip" skank Madonna trying to sing this song.

Uh...why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Lawrence kept coming by my apartment (I had moved twice in four months time to try and change the emotional channel) for periodic booty call, which made it all the more worse, and worser, and them MUCH worse for me, until one night in March or April, or May, or June... I exploded at him in a insane rage calling him "a fucking god damned stupid n***er" and throwing him out of my apartment, and out of my life. Not one of my better moments, to say the least. But it happened, and I am if anything, impeccably honest.


I was an artist back then. I mean an artist painter, like Tony de Carlo. I think one of the reasons I love his work so much, besides his work just exciting me so much, and my personally enjoying his mind, is that in him, in my fantasies, I see what i might have become had I kept painting. Here is an out of focus pic one of my paintings, a self portrait painted on the "Saint of of Valentines" day that year. So happy (not). A very painful pointing, really.



So I got on with my life. Joined a band (vocals, writing, keyboards), and then decided to fall back on my left brain to earn a living. Became a computer programmer, became highly political for the first time in my life, tacking hard to the far right...

(Hell, I was doing "Andrew Sullivan gay conservative contrarian" when he was still being butt boy to the priests at Catholic Boys school).

...and I morphed into a much, much, MUCH darker version of my former self. This picture reveals a lot.

TO BE CONTINUED NEXT WEEK:

Lawrence comes back into my life as a friend with John, his new boyfriend, Lysergic Acid Diethylamide, I begin visiting San Francisco's South of Market sexual underground and hob knob with the America's rich and famous gay elite, I recognize aids for what it is before it was called aids, I move to San Francisco and my career goes into orbit, Lonnie moves to east bay in Oakland and missed connections, I fall in love again, this time with a beautiful smooth caramel coloured Bolivian boy...and get badly burned once again, the Gospel, Mormon Missionaries, Baptising people in the name of the father, the son, and the holy spirit, I am Born Again on I-5 north of Sacramento, Old Saint Mary's Catholic Church, I meet Chai, an ex Buddhist Monk turned SF muscle boy who plants more seeds into my soul and this time I inadvertantly break his heart, things come to a head with “Either I go, or I take this damn town town down with me”, and moving back home to learn that I arrived one day too late.

Some of next week’s music is included in this week’s soup. Enjoy. Hot damn, the soup tastes mighty good this week, does it not?

I have a ballet to go to tonight (Swan Lake) to see a future Julliard student.

All of this makes it's way into this week's soup. You can get your 31.2 Mb bowl of Saturday Night Soup for the Soul by clicking the jukebox.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those first loves tear your fucking heart out. The boy who would be man sits and waits and waits but they never show. Your heart collapses in on the broken structure of your life, or the dream of your life together with him. You rebuild and move on only to have them circle like a bloody vulture and they peck a few more bits of flesh from you until you've had enough. Rage and pain are lethal and you look your worst to a person who did know till then how much you really cared about them. Silly fuckers. But you cool down because angry isn't you...and you love again. And sweet it is. Just like the voices of the black women you listen to as you go to sleep. Warm black velvet out of their mouths makes you dream and dream.

Hugs,
kb

T-Bird said...

KB, you are a world class spirit. Your passion is forged in the hottest flame and made from the most potent substance in all the universe: Love. I am more sure than ever that beauty will always be with you.

T-Bird said...

But remember to moisturize and avoid harsh sun and use SPF protection.

I will be on a road trip thru Oregon and down to San Francisco (or to Santa Fe) the weekend of March 31st. Would LOVE to have your first soup for that weekend. That way I can listen to it at a friend’s house (Hankenstein). Take it any direction you like including YouTube inclusion such as the Miss Billie one. Did you see Ken Burn’s Jazz documentary? That thing is a religious experience for me. All 10 episodes.